Saturday, June 20, 2015

John Lee Dumas - From Devastation to Innovation

John Lee Dumas took responsibility, struggled, failed, but kept going. He's now a hugely successful pod-caster. I tune into his podcasts when I need inspiration. However, I feel as he has grown, he's becoming less authentic.
There are many guests he's had on the show that I felt were all about the spin - their agendas were strictly spinning and selling.
JLD as he calls himself now, is a great example of someone who (even though his mentors advised him against it) used creative courage (Moxie) and self-determination (Will) to become successful. And it wasn't an overnight success.
Thanks to JLD, I read Outwitting The Devil by Napoleon Hill - which (though very...uh...unique...made me realize just how much of my life I threw away due to drinking/watching TV, entertainment, etc).  It was one of those "AH HA" books. Worth a read.
JLD also mentioned, several times about the fact he was in the military. And when he was discharged and came home, he was at a loss of what to do.
He. Lacked. Purpose.
About the same time I was listening to JLD (that was 2 years ago, I don't so much anymore) I was reading Viktor Frankel's "Man's Search For Meaning." Mr. Frankel (a Holocaust Survivor)  made some observations from his time in the Nazi camps...one which was that people, in order to feel happy, satisfied, need some sort of purpose (meaning) in their life. To do something that adds positively to life.
It makes sense, and from life experience, I know the times I felt most happy, most alive, were the times I was trying to make a positive difference, when I had a purpose.
Anyway, if you're looking for something to listen to for inspiration, check out Entrepreneur on Fire.
There are a-lot of bullshitters on that show, but there are also many truly inspiring people.


No comments:

Post a Comment